Wednesday, January 25, 2012

100...

Today I introduced our "If I were 100..." writing prompt. It was great! And my kids were loving it. I got dressed up. Playing dress up is one of my favorite things to do as a teacher, and the kids love it too! The light and excitement in their eyes and the huge smiles on their faces are priceless!

I walked in shuffling along with a cane. I told the students that I was Barbara and that I was 100 years old and that I had come from the old folks home to be with them for this lesson.

Here is Barbara:


o.k., o.k., I know the hair isn't grey but I couldn't find a wig so I told the kids that I dyed it especially for them because I didn't want them to see my grey hair.

Alright, I know I don't have glasses either, but I didn't have any and the cheapest ones at Smith's (the only store on my way to school that was open)were $10.00, so I just told the kids that I forgot them and pretended to have a difficult time reading the book that I read to them.

I did have a cane though! Made it myself out of a shoebox! (there are some perks to having parents who have a shoe store)




We read a book and then we filled in bubble chart about characteristics of old people. I wrote as if I were an old person. I promise my handwriting is better than this : )



We reviewed what an opinion is, then I read some statements. If the students felt that what I had read was their opinion they showed me the Y (yes)side of the spoon, if it was not their opinion they showed me the N (no) side of the spoon.




We went back to our desks and filled out the following chart to gather our ideas for our writing:



The final products will look something like this:


The students are making their 100 year old selves tomorrow! I can't wait to see how they turn out! They are sure to be much cuter than mine, I will be sure to post pictures!

- The 100 year old teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment