Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Idiom Class Book

Oh lovely idioms.  We use idioms all the time, some idioms are so commonly used that it is easy to forget that they are idioms.  I truly feel bad for anyone trying to learn this crazy language.  Can you lend me a hand?  Kill two birds with one stone.  Butter fingers.  On the ball.  The straw that broke the camels back.  Literally speaking, the words we are saying make no sense.  Kids often have a hard time with idioms.  This week we are making an idioms class book!  I had the kids draw pictures of the literal interpretation of  idioms (each student got a different one).  This is an idea that I got from a training two summers ago.  Tomorrow they will share their pictures with the class and then we will talk about them and they will write the actual meaning at the bottom of the page.  Some of the pictures were really cute!  Here are a few for you to enjoy:

     One of my personal favorites






yes...tht is a drinking straw




Here is also a PDF file of the idiom class book if you are interested in doing this activity with your class or in using it as a center or a fast finisher activity.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi...Your blog is great! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog for all the info!
    Amy
    www.mrsseiber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete